Orion Display Documentation
Aerospace Applications North America implemented a suite of software tools to help document the layout and operation of each display format in the Orion cockpit. After the prototyping effort is complete, designs need to be documented for certification preparation and astronaut training. Going though each display format to extract all the required information is a very labor-intensive task if performed manually.
Fortunately, our team has created an array of software tools programmed with the Python language and its plugins, to automate repetitive documentation tasks and search through complex display design data structures. An additional benefit of using automated systems is that they ensure output format constency.
The automated tasks include:
- Parse C++ source code and IData configuration files to generate reports with detailed information about each object on each display format.
- Parse display navigation XML files to generate reports about the display navigation architecture.
- Convert text-based prototype electronic procedure definition files and table of content to XML implementation files.
- Convert Excel-based generic display design files to XML implementation files.
- Parse C++ source code and IData configuration files in code-based displays and convert them to XML format as a starting point for documentation and translation to the generic engine.
- Parse text-based display logic engine specification files and generate reports to document logic operations;
- Generate a report on data items driving each display to document interfaces.